Friday, March 23, 2007

A Dog Called K9

When I started this blog one of my original mission statements was to report about two series; "The Sarah Jane Adventures" and another show, one we've heard absolutely nothing about for months now "k9 Adventures" - the all singing, all dancing K9 'spin-off' (and I mean that in the loosest possible sense) series, set to be made by Park Entertainment.

I have no idea what's happening, if I'm completely honest. The series seems to have gone into hibernation for the time being, so it *appears* that we're back to square one with the series - or are we? Maybe not, as the case may be...

Visiting the Park Entertainment website shows us a few interesting things. Namely, details on when the series is planned for being recorded, and subsequently, broadcast. In short? Recording is scheduled to begin this summer, with an early 2008 broadcast. But I'll believe it when I see it.
Of course, the longer the delay the less likely it is that the series will ever get made (just look what happened to the proposed "Red Dwarf Movie" with died a death after years in production hell). I've been told that Bob Baker continues to slave away on the show, and is writting the majority of the scripts - but what's the point in scripts if they're never produced?

Surely 26 half hour episodes is too much for a relatively small company like Park Entertaiment to produce? Some of the companies other productions (from "Grand Star" to "Charlie Jade") hardly look like they've ever taken off fully so I have to question just how much of an investment P. E are likely to make in the series?

I mean, it's set in space for heaven's sake! "Doctor Who" has a budget of millions, and even that stays Earthbound for a majority of the time. I doubt "K9 Adventures" can afford half of what the current Doctor Who's have got, so maybe that's the reason for the delay? Money - it all comes down to it at the end of the day.

Saying that, from what I've seen of the series so far - via the K9 Unleashed DVD which you can perchase here - doesn't look half bad. Shame they're not sticking to the CGI format, isn't it? Cos a CGI science-fiction series is a hell of a lot cheaper than a life like set built show.

Guess we'll just have to wait for news. Though I'm not exactly quaking in my boots by the show's synopsis, it does sound mildly amusing, and anything even remotely connected to "Doctor Who" can't be that bad can it? Hey, you mouthing off against Torchwood - shut it!

Perhaps if the series does indeed fall through, we might have K9 returned to where he belongs - out of that safe in Sarah's attic, and on the streets saving lives and doing what he does best. I could imagine it now...

Still, nothing will ever persuade me to start up k9.tv...

Useful links - 1: Wikipedia Page 2: GallifreyOne Forum

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

They should just give him back to Sarah Jane and be done with it! she misses him.

Anonymous said...

Sarah Jane Adventures starts filming again on the 16th April 07 and the torchwood rehearsals start at the end of april, yay. (i'm the biggest fan of torchwood in the world.) Oh, does this website have 2 b so, pink?

Michael J. Bayly said...

Hi,

Great site! I just wanted to let you know that I’ve written two commentaries on our girl on my blogsite - here and here.

Hope you enjoy them. Feel free to leave a comment!

Peace,

Michael

Anthony Garnon said...

Hey - I like pink! Could be worse I suppose... the site could be *shudders* polka dot!!!

Suddenly pink looks appealing, doesn't it?!?

:P