Wednesday, November 14, 2007

My Sarah Jane Day

University finished early, so I thought I'd pop into town and do a little Christmas shopping - though, admittedly, I couldn't resist a little shopping for myself too! I picked up the two Sarah Jane Adventures audios in one of Manchester's two Waterstones stores (they're in the children's section, but hey-ho) and I was tempted to pick up the novelisations too - what with Waterstones' 3 for 2 offer - but decided otherwise. The books are mighty pretty though...

Toys 'R Us are now selling the Sonic Lipstick toy in store, which I decided to buy. Not for myself, of course. It's my youngest sister's birthday in December. She can have that as her gift. Naturally I'll have to inspect it once its out of the box, but she can have it back... eventually.

Finally, I headed on over to Forbidden Planet, where I picked up the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine. It features interviews with the three writers of "The Sarah Jane Adventures" (that's Gareth Roberts, Phil Ford and Phil Gladwin) who discuss the challenges of writing for children's television in the 21st century, amongst other things...

"Honestly," Gareth Roberts tells the magazine, "at the end of Part One of Revenge of the Slitheen, there are bits where Maria, Luke and Clyde are splitting up and coming back in all manner of different directions - and that's purely because Yasmin Paige and Thomas Knight were constantly off doing their schoolwork! But Daniel Anthony is 20, so we can work him into the ground!"

Talking of Mr. Anthony and Mr. Knight, there's (slight) interviews with the boys, too.

Inside the magazine there's also:

+ News on how well the SJA have performed in the ratings.
+ A look at Graeme Harper's "Calling the Shots" book
+ Lots of readers' letters about the SJA (all very positive)
+ Reviews of the two Sarah Jane Adventures audio CDs

You can pick up Doctor Who Magazine issue number 389 now, priced £3.99. Next month the magazine returns sporting a brand new look, and will review all ten episodes of the full SJA series.

Finally, the second DVD release of "The Sarah Jane Adventures" appears to be taking place next March. Woolworths have posted details online which suggests that volume two of the series - containing "Revenge of the Slitheen" and "Eye of the Gorgon" - will hit shelves on March 15th, with an RRP of £12.99 - more news on this when we have confirmation.

Have a great night; I'm off to listen to Lis Sladen reading "The Glittering Storm"...

No comments: