Monday, December 01, 2008

Priceless

Ticket to Chicago: xyz dollars.
Hotel reservation: xyz dollars.
Reserved seating: xyz dollars.
Memorabilia: xy dollars.
Many trips to Starbucks: xy dollars.
Meeting your childhood idol: priceless.

I survived Chicago Tardis! This was my first Doctor Who convention, and I had a fabulous time! I didn't want it to end...but, alas, at 2AM this morning (when my flight finally got in), it was back to 'ledger books and burst pipes' for me. ;)

Elisabeth was as lovely as ever-I have tons of pictures, and stories to go with them. However, my camera is new, my computer old, and I'm leaving for my Christmas vacation back home in a little over two weeks-so it may be a few days before I get the pictures posted.

In the meantime, if you haven't seen them already, Dave the Doctor has posted a couple of clips from Elisabeth's panels:
The first one is from Friday:
Elisabeth Sladen on Sarah Jane Adventures

This next one (and one of my favorites) is from Saturday:
Eldrad Must Live

It's funny-the angle these were taken were similar to my own for both days. :)(I couldn't find my seat the first day-turns out I was on the wrong side!) I really enjoyed her panels-she's very gracious and loves her fans! :)

A quick shout out to our readers that I met around the con and waiting in line to meet Elisabeth-it was wonderful to meet you! Half the fun of these cons is meeting new people who share your enthusiasum. Thank you for a great time! :)

9 comments:

Nabu San said...

omg, American readers! Yaay! One of them wouldn't happen to be a girl in a purple SJA t-shirt would it? The videos *jaw drops* Must watch! And get those pictures uploaded soon, ma'am! I'm eager to see 'em all Hope you had a blast during your first ever convention! My first was in June when I met Tom and Dan from SJA! Hope your experience was as unforgetable as mine!

Joe Reboy said...

I was there and I ran into the lass in the purple SJA shirt (she hand-painted the logo herself, it was extremely well-done).

Liz was fabulous looking, but acess to her was somewhat restrictive. Except for her panels and her phot/autograph sessions, both of which were rush-rush, there was virtually no access. We didn't even say hi Saturday early in the morning when she snuck out of the hotel in disguise to go shopping (despite the rumours of how tacky some American fans can be, some of us understand when the guests are not on the clock they are to be left alone.... And more importantly as one poor idiot found out, when they are on a stage the guests are not to be ambushed with asinine charges... but I'm sure Romana1 will do a better job covering that than I could...).

Anonymous said...

I don't think we ever officially met at the con, but I am a reader (and one of the panelists at the Sarah Jane panel), and hope we meet at next year's!

Nabu San said...

'when they are on a stage the guests are not to be ambushed with asinine charges'

Oh lords, I'm strongly reminded of Comic Boook Guy from The Simpsons :P Don't they know panel etiquette?!

And omg, girl in the purple tee's Lagie! Yaay! I helped her by providing her the logo template, though it seems minute comapred to all the effort she went to painting it! :O I'm honestly contemplating buying one off her!

And WOW, Neadods! What does a panelist at the Sarah Jane panel do?! So wonderful that all of you were so close to eachother! This is what makes running a blog like this worthwhile!

Romana1 said...

Nabu-yes!!! I met Lagie-we were line buddies Friday and Saturday. :)

Neadods!!! Yeah, I'm not sure if we official met, but someone mentioned you to me and I said, Oh, yeah! Livejournal! (I said that alot this weekend) What I should have done in the beginning (instead of the middle of the con), was write my blogger name and sarah-jane.tv underneath my name on my badge. (I'm also Romana1 on LiveJournal)

Ooooh, that one guy...yeah, I was debating on whether or not to add that to my report, but if readers want to hear it... For now, let's just say he seriously got booed.

Oooh! The pressure! Must get my pictures up! *hee* (I'm currently looking for the correct driver so I can plug my new camera and/or card reader into my computer-I get the new fancy toys before I get a computer that can handle them! ;))

Nabu San said...

Just heard about it at OG, he accused Lis of overcharging for autographs? *gasp* He got rightly booed! How did Lis react?

Romana1 said...

Startled, at first-a bit confused. Then upset. :(

And, for the record (for those who don't already know), it was the con charging for the autographs (and photo sessions), not Lis. From what I understand, it was to help offset the cost of bringing Lis to Chicago Tardis. Also, it wasn't like it was a surprise. It was clearly listed in the autograph and photo policy on the site. I have known since at least June that there would be extra charges.

She handled herself well-she said it was a good question (the reason behind the extra charges), but that it wasn't the time or place to ask that-if you wanted to know why, you quietly pull someone official aside and ask them later.

It was a downer-thank god there were better questions after! (The question was asked at the same panel she did the 'Eldrad must live' for us at the end)

Unknown said...

It was great to meet you and I agree that the con was lovely!

Amilyn

kevinwparker said...

I echo what NeaDods said: I'm a reader and sorry I didn't knowingly run into you. (And I was on the same Sarah Jane panel as her, to boot!)

As for the panel itself, mostly it was three of us fans talking about how awesome Lis Sladen is!