Saturday, September 20, 2008

For Chrissie's Sake!

One of my concerns about this latest series of The Sarah Jane Adventures is that, still a week or so away from transmission, we already know so much about what will happen and the fates of our favourite characters (unlike, say, series three or four of Doctor Who - I remember sitting down some weeks and not knowing anything at all about what I was about to see, save the Radio Times listings.) Take the Jackson's for example; sure, we knew they were leaving, and when it was happening - but did they really have to tell us before hand the reasons why?!

DigitalSpy (not to blame for the leak of the information, I might add) previews the new series, by looking at Maria's departure and the subsequent arrival of Rani Chandra. To compliment the article, there's an interview with Juliet Cowan who plays Maria's mother, Chrissie Jackson - who very much hints as to a Jackson reunion sometime (*cough cough* season finale) soon...

Meanwhile as my good man and fellow writer 'Peter Pan' observes, the latest issue of SFX Magazine has a one page interview/profile of the gorgeous Elisabeth Sladen (oh come on... as if you wouldn't...) where the star herself is a little naughty, and reveals the fate of Maria and Alan Jackson - so LOOK AWAY NOW SPOILERPHOBES!!!

"They are in America, but they can still help Sarah through modern technology," Says Sladen, who also promises a 'more layered' second run of adventures, "It comes in the dialogue. Emotionally it's more varied. It doesn't kind of... cut off so quickly. It sounds a bit patronising - it's not meant to be. We go in on a different level. Maybe last time we went in and you just kind of flick on it and then you move on. We stay with the problem more this time. Therefore, you have to have dialogue that will not patronise, that will not just be very slick about it because we're going onto another scene. It just seems more meaty."

Sladen goes on to discuss her status as new found Doctor Who fan - but to read about that and more, you'll have to pick up SFX issue 175 out on Wednesday, priced £3.99 (or thereabouts).

Finally, a quick mention for "The Writer's Tale" - a new book by Russell T Davies and journalist Benjamin Cook, which explores the writing process behind the fourth series of the revived Doctor Who. In it, Davies talks about how he planned the 14 adventures (including the bonkers crossover 'event' season finale) as well as his general writing practices.

The book is out 25th September, and should be of interest to all Doctor Who and SJA fans. The RRP is £30, although the likers of play.com are selling it for as little as £15.99.

11 comments:

Nabu San said...

The problem with following SJA news so closely is you do get spoiled, A LOT. I miss the total ignorance I had during the first series run. But spoilers, thankfully, don't make the stories any less enjoyable for me - and I'm confident there are still a few surprises in store for us!

Interesting to hear about Maria's finale appearance! I knew she'd get on there through webcam or something! Really look forward to it!

Anthony Garnon said...

Nabu, it's a sad fact - writing fansites like this will ultimately cause you to read/report the spoilers. I remember having Torchwood's first series completely ruined because of it. Tis the price we pay, I suppose...

...But a sacrifice I don't ever regret making :)

Anthony.

Anonymous said...

I Know this is a fan site , and that lot - but , you've now spoilt everything for series 2 because you think you's are so cleaver reporting that :

'Sarah Jane claims that her last name is Beckham' that was i thrill we could have had but not anymore ... this site sucks!

Anthony Garnon said...

Erm... yeah, this site sucks. Shut us down for making such a silly mistake for posting a story like *that* ;)

Anthony.

Nabu San said...

Ah, that spoiler post was from a while back. You could avoid future spoilers by, y'know - not visiting the blog :P But we've been fairly good on that front, m'thinks. We haven't posted every scrap of info we know about the second series [which amounts to quite a bit thanks to sources both public and private], so there's still plenty of thrills in store for you to LOL at. Even though I'll personally still be laughing when I hear the surname of a certain footballer on the show.

Anthony Garnon said...

They're namechecking David Seamen, Nabu?? Oh, right, get ya drift now ;)

Cheap joke; move on folks...

Anthony.

Anonymous said...

i think that Anthony 'jack harkness' is rude and arrogant , he can't handle anyone else's apinion without makeing a smart comment - so next time ... shut you're gob and that'll be good for all of us

Anthony Garnon said...

Interesting IP address you've got there anonymous... ;)

As for me being rude... well, maybe I am. That's, ultimately, not for me to decide - but this is *my* blog so I can write anyway I want, and annoy whoever the hell I like. You don't like? Then don't read. If you still do read, despite the apparent dislike, then it's your own fault if what you see annoys you in anyway. Do us a favour if that's the case, and shut YOUR gob. This blog isn't for you, and I don't want you here.

And, now you've outed me as an evil bastard or something, I might show you the wrath of that bastard state...

1: It's "jackharkness", as in one word.

2: Grammar! It's "your" not "you're" - because that, dumbass, translates as "you are". Does "shut you are gob" make sense? Thought not.

3: Capitalise "I"... always. Dumbass.

4: Dumbass. Recurring theme, huh?

As for the "arrogant" side of me... well, who doesn't think my name rocks? I mean, "Anthony"? Perfection! Oh yeah!!

Anthony.

Nabu San said...

Ant, I'm ever so slightly turned on :P
You. bed. now.

Anthony Garnon said...

It was the repeated use of "dumbass" that did it for you, wasn't it Nabu? ;)

Anthony.

Nabu San said...

The sheer mention of any part of the male anatomy does it for me, really :P